Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Marta, Marta...

While googling for the name of what we now think is a US made Italian song, I tried looking out for any artists from the late 70s/early 80s whose name I didn't immediately recognize. I finally was able to put a name to songs I last remember hearing at Brooklyn weddings in those days including an Italian version of Cielito Lindo called Bambina Mia by Le Piccole Ore. A great site to listen to, and even request instantly, songs from the 60s and 70s (and a handful of 80s songs) is ItalianGraffiati.com. I noticed on the playlist a lot of silly band names I never heard of like The Little Boys and The Red Roosters and no matter what song I requested from these bands, it usually turned out to be an Italian version of a Beatles or other 60s English hit - even the Beach Boys were covered!

A song not on Graffiati's playlist, unfortunately, is the below catchy gem I discovered on YouTube from Ciro Sebastianelli, a somewhat popular 70s singer/songwriter from Naples. Check out his official site for more song samples, late-70s magazine articles about him and even album covers from such compilations as "Festivalbar 1980" where he finished 5th.



Ciro Sebastanelli - Marta, Marta

No comments: